Self Employed Tailor
Self Employed Tailor (Syllabus)
Candidates will be able to;
- Understand Apparel Industry.
- Understand the Job Responsibilities of an Production Supervisor .
Drafting and cutting the fabric:-
- Take body measurement of the customer or the product.
- Select the appropriate tools & materials for drafting.
- Mark the measurements of a garment on a piece of paper with the help of the tools and make the standard patterns for reference.
- Cut the paper pattern as per the measurement.
- Place the cut components of paper for cutting the cloth.
- Select the appropriate tools & materials for cutting.
- Measure the length and width of the material/fabric before starting to cut.
- Ensure there are no defects on the material.
- Lay the fabric on the table in accordance with fabric grain line, designs, checks or plaids, etc.
- Cut the various garment components with precision.
- Avoid fabric/material wastage while cutting.
- Organise cut components in a suitable bundle tied tog.
Carry out the process of sewing for dress materials and common household items of textiles:-
- Set machines according to manufacturers’ instructions and sewing requirements.
- Set machine controls for the materials being stitched.
- Perform a test run to ensure machine is operating correctly.
- Join cut components by stitching.
- Carry out hand sewing (kaj making, button fixing, hemming, or basic embroidery etc.)
- Make a final cost sheet.
Carry out inspections and alterations to adjust corrections for fittings :-
- Identify methods of garment fitting.
- Recognise common fitting errors and their solutions.
- Check fitting of the dress materials onto the customers.
- Record required alteration needs and instructions on tags or labels and attach them to garments.
- Carry out alterations as per records.
- Keep vigilance for potential risks and threats associated with shop and its equipments like fire, theft, etc.
- Handle tools and equipments like sewing machines, scissors, shears, etc. safely and securely.
- Keep alert in the shop and during work processes to avoid potential risks and threats.
- Install basic safety signage in the shop for customer knowledge as well.
- Undertake first-aid, fire-fighting and emergency response training.
Maintain Work Area , Tools and machines :-
- Handle materials, machinery, equipment and tools safely and correctly.
- Use correct lifting and handling procedures.
- Use materials to minimize waste.
- Maintain a clean and hazard free working area.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Carry out running maintenance within agreed schedules.
- Carry out maintenance and/or cleaning within one’s responsibility.
- Report unsafe equipment and other dangerous occurrences.
- Ensure that the correct machine guards are in place.
- Work in a comfortable position with the correct posture.
- Use cleaning equipment and methods appropriate for the work to be carried out.
- Dispose of waste safely in the designated location.
- Store cleaning equipment safely after use.
- Carry out cleaning according to schedules and limits of responsibility.
Comply with industry, regulatory and organizational requirements :-
- Carry out work functions in accordance with legislation and regulations, organizational guidelines and procedures.
- Seek and obtain clarifications on policies and procedures, from your supervisor or other authorized personnel.
- Apply and follow these policies and procedures within your work practices.
- Provide support to your supervisor and team members in enforcing these considerations.
- Identify and report any possible deviation to these requirements.
- Understand importance of being an entrepreneur.
- Understand concepts of tailor shop economics like book keeping, inventory management.
- Understand importance of documentation.
- Identify various registers and documents required.
- Complete documentation appropriately.
- Understand importance of effective communication.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Identify and follow personal grooming and hygiene.
- Follow organization procedures and maintain personal health and hygiene and avoid habits like ghutka, tobacco etc.
- Interact effectively in a group.
- Manage time effectively.
- Understand importance of resume and prepare your resume.
- Prepare for interviews.
First aid and CPR Theory Duration:-
- Identify methods of first aid.
- Undertake basic first aid,
- Undertake basic CPR.