Housekeeping Attendant Manual Cleaning (Syllabus)
Identifying housekeeping requirements and resources :-
- Check assigned area as per duty roster for different types of things to be cleaned.
- Check the occupancy rate for the areas assigned.
- Inspect the area for cleaning.
- Identify the types of surfaces to be cleaned.
- Assess requirement for housekeeping equipment and consumables.
- Ensure that data and information received is complete and correct.
- Identify workplace procedures for housekeeping.
- Choose the equipment and materials taken into account.
- Prepare work area using PPE .
Preparing for housekeeping activities :-
- Obtain the PPE required.
- Obtain the appropriate equipment and materials and consumables as per organization’s standards.
- Wear the personal protective equipment required for the cleaning method.
- Follow the instructions and procedures for entering and leaving the workplace.
- Plan the sequence for cleaning the area to avoid re-soiling.
- Ensure that all surfaces to be cleaned are accessible.
- Ensure that there is adequate ventilation.
- Identify and follow specific requirements for housekeeping activities.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using any tools and equipment.
- Ensure levels of personal hygiene.
- Follow the correct procedures to deal with any lost property or unattended items.
- Prepare work area and equipment so that the job can be done efficiently.
- Complete preparation for housekeeping activities following SOP’s and ensure removal of Waste.
- Complete checklists and records for preparation of housekeeping duties.
- Choose equipment and cleaning agents that are right for the floor.
- Choose a method of removing the dust and debris .
- Clear any large items of debris by hand, safely .
- Mix and apply the cleaning solution .
- Carry out the cleaning as per SOP of the company .
- Remove the ground-in soil without damaging the surface .
- Remove the loose dust and debris .
- Choose a method of clearing up the spillage .
- Empty all the waste from the bins .
- Put the garbage or debris in the correct container .
- Report any stains that cannot be removed to the supervisor .
Cleaning washrooms and bathrooms :-
- Follow any special procedures for entering washroom and bathroom .
- Make sure there is enough ventilation .
- Follow any relevant codes of practice for safety measures .
- Choose equipment’s and cleaning agents that are suitable for the surface .
- Mix and apply cleaning agents .
- Clean washrooms and bathrooms including tubs .
- Clean basins and taps so that they are free of dirt .
- Check that washrooms are free flushing and draining .
- Clean the appliances, surfaces, fixtures and fittings .
- Clean the surrounding floors, walls, mirrors and other surfaces .
- Make sure waste bins are empty, clean and ready for use .
- Identify waste and get it ready for dispatch .
- Make sure that plug holes, waste outlets and overflows are free from blockages.
- Report any faults and problems to the appropriate person .
Replenishing supplies in washrooms and bathrooms and completing cleaning duties:-
- Check the holders contain the correct amount of consumables .
- Check supplies and accessories .
- Make sure that customer supplies and accessories are clean and free from damage .
- Replenish, replace and refill supplies as .
- per SOP .
- Make sure that the area has the right amount of supplies and consumables .
- Report any stock shortages to the appropriate member of staff .
- Ensure cleaning equipment is clean and in working order .
- Put everything back in the right place when work is finished .
- Remove or replace personal protective equipment .
- Ensure floor cleaning duties are conducted following SOP .
- Notify maintenance requirements of any damaged items .
- Complete and ensure checklists and records .
- Check work areas to ensure required workplace standards are met .
Cleaning vertical spaces, fittings, internal glass spaces:-
- Loosen dirt that is stuck on to the glass surface without causing damage .
- Remove loose dust and debris first .
- Clean walls so they are free from dust, cobwebs, dirt, grease spots and stains .
- Choose a cleaning agent and equipment that are right for the surface .
- Apply cleaning agents to fixtures and lights and ensure they are clean and workable .
- Check that heating, lighting and ventilation systems are set correctly .
- Rub off the dirt thoroughly from the glass surface and remove it without damaging the surface .
- Put everything back in the right place when one has finished the work .
- Collect and segregate waste .
- Conduct assigned cleaning duties following workplace procedures and ensure removal of waste.
- Notify maintenance requirements any damaged items to appropriate personnel .
- Complete checklists and records for housekeeping duties .
- Report any lost and found property to the authorized person .
- Check work areas to ensure required workplace standards are met .
Keeping areas neat, tidy and in good order:-
- Dispose off waste correctly .
- Report maintenance jobs .
- Keep displays clean .
- Inspect areas in accordance to company safety and security policies .
- Report unclaimed items .
- Choose appropriate cleaning equipment and materials .
- Use hazard warning signs and PPE .
- Clean surfaces .
- Store cleaning equipment correctly .
- Notify maintenance requirements of damaged items.
- Use PPE as per waste involved.
- Remove and collect waste as per regulations.
- Sort and segregate waste as per type.
- Reduce the volume by breaking down, compressing, shredding etc.
- Pack and store in appropriate and clean waste containers.
- Change waste bags regularly.
- Keep waste areas clean and tidy.
- Ensure waste containers are taken to collection point.
- Complete records to maintain waste audit trail.
- Identify and report problems related to collection, storage or disposal of waste.
- Follow legal and regulatory requirement related to waste disposal.
Checklists and registers:-
- Fill up checklists for assigned work areas to record status of work as per the procedur.
- Fill up checklists for equipment, machines provided and serviceability .
- Fill up requisition for requirement of housekeeping supplies .
- Fill up register to record attendance .
- Fill up description of work carried out during the shift .
- Record unfinished task in the logbook .
- Record deviations and lost and found belongings .
- Report any incidents and accidents that take place .
- Ensure that the report draws valid conclusions .
- Adopt the most suitable mode of presentation .
- Record unresolved issues and escalations in the logbook .
- Record job related problems to the supervisor and monitor them.
- Refer the problem to an internal specialist if not resolved.
Reporting and documentation:-
- Prepare regular reports and documents as required by organization’s procedures .
- Prepare special reports from time to time .
- Ensure that the report includes all necessary information and is accurate, clear and concise .
- Present the report to the relevant people within agreed timescales .
- Use appropriate templates and formats .
Interacting with superiors and colleagues :-
- Receive job order and instructions from reporting superior.
- Escalate unresolved problems or complaints to relevant superior.
- Understand work output requirements, targets, performance indicators and incentives.
- Deliver quality work and report anticipated delays with reason .
- Communicate maintenance and repair schedule to superior .
- Receive feedback on work standards .
- Document the completed work .
- Show trust, support and respect to all colleagues and assist them with information and knowledge.
- Try to achieve smooth overflow.
- Identify the potential and existing conflicts with colleagues and resolve them .
- Seek assistance from colleagues when required .
- Pass on essential information to colleagues in a timely manner .
- Behave responsibly and use polite language with colleagues .
- Interact with colleagues from different functions to understand their nature of work .
- To understand teamwork, multitasking-operation, co-ordination and collaboration .
- Lookout for any errors and help colleagues to rectify them .
Communicating with Customers :-
- Identify customer needs by asking questions .
- Have good knowledge on product and services and brief the customer clearly on them in a polite and professional manner .
- Build friendly but impersonal relationship with the customers .
- Use appropriate language and tone and listen actively .
- Show sensitivity to gender/ cultural and social differences .
- Understand customer expectations and provide appropriate product/services .
- Understand customer dissatisfaction and address their complaints Maintain proper body language and dress code .
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the guest .
- Inform the customers on any issues and developments involving them .
- Respond back to the customer immediately .
- Upselling/promoting suitable products and services .
- Seek feedback from customers .
- Explain terms and conditions clearly .
- Greet, welcome and address the customer appropriately .
- Maintain pitch and tone of voice whiles peaking to customers .
- Maintain high standards of practice and transparency in pricing .
- Answer the telephone .
- Communicate appropriately with the customer .
- Dress professionally .
- Maintain personal integrity and ethical behaviour .
- Maintain personal grooming and positive body language .
- Demonstrate responsible and disciplined behaviour .
- Escalate grievances to appropriate authority .
Achieving customer satisfaction by being professional :-
- Use appropriate titles and terms of respect .
- Handle customer grievances professionally .
- Offer friendly, courteous and hospitable service to the customers .
- Provide assistance with sincere attitude .
- Achieve 100% customer satisfaction .
- Understand customer loyalty and brand value .
Services and facilities specific to age / gender /special needs :-
- Ensure that the customer feels safe .
- Understand procedures to be followed during terrorist attacks .
- Know the facilities and services specific to gender and age Co-ordinate with team to meet these needs .
- Educate customers about entertainment programs for children, basic safeguard procedures for senior citizens .
- Arrange for transport and equipment as required by senior citizens .
- Understand availability of medical facilities/doctor .
How to behave with women at workplace?
- Understand women rights and companies polices regarding them .
- Know special facilities available for women colleagues and customers .
- Inform about methods to ensure safety and security of women .
- Provide comfortable and safe environment for female customers .
- Maintain compliant behaviour etiquette while dealing with women .
- Treat women equally and avoid discrimination .
- Ensure safety and security of female colleagues and customers at all levels .
IPR and Copyright:-
- Make sure new initiatives of Hotel are not leaked out.
- Report IPR violations.
- Read copyright clause.
- Protect infringement upon customer’s interests.
- Know which aspect of customer information can be used.
- Report any infringement.
- Keep the workplace clean .
- identify waste and ensure its disposal .
- Ensure waste bins are cleared everyday .
- Point out requirements for pest control .
- Ensure workplace has fresh air supply and sufficient lighting .
- Ensure maintenance check of air conditioners and other mechanical equipment in the department .
- Know safe and clean handling of linen, laundry and work area .
- Ensure adequate supply of cleaning consumables .
Hygiene:-Hand wash procedure
- Understand personal hygiene.
- Understand dental hygiene.
- Understand cross contamination and how to prevent it.
- Report on personal health issues.
- Ensure procedures such as covering the mouth and turning away from people while coughing and sneezing.
- Maintain availability of clean drinking water.
- Get appropriate vaccinations regularly.
- Undergo preventive health checkup and treat all illnesses promptly.
- Understand various hazards in work areas and how to eliminate or minimize them .
- Analyse the causes of accident at workplace and suggest measures to prevent them .
- Take preventive measures and suggest methods to improve existing safety procedures.
Safety standards and Procedures
- Know correct emergency procedures .
- Know the locations of fire extinguishers, fire emergency etc .
- Stack items in an organized way to avoid accidents .
- Handle materials, tools, chemicals etc safely .
- Ensure safe techniques while moving furniture’s and fixtures .
- Understand guidelines to use electrical equipment .
- Ensure floors are not slippery .
- Practice ergonomic lifting, bending or moving equipment .
- Understand first aid .
- Know the use of personal protective equipment and safety gear .
- Knowledge of safety signs .
- Document first aid treatments and safety procedures .
- Report to supervisor if any hazard is identified adhere to safety standards .